Professor • Program Director, Electrical Engineering
Soosan Beheshti received the B.S. degree from Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, in 1996 and 2002 respectively, all in electrical engineering. From September 2002 to June 2005, she was a Postdoctoral Associate and a Lecturer at MIT. Since July 2005, she has been with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Toronto Metropolitan University, Toronto, ON, Canada, where she is currently a Professor.
Signal and information processing, statistical signal processing, Information theory, data denoising, data compression, control, and system theory and modeling.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Dean's Teaching Award, Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Science, Ryerson 2010
- Gold Paper Award at the IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing (PacRim) 2009
- Best Paper Award of the International Conference on Remote Sensing 2008
- EECS Carlton E. Tucker Award for Teaching Excellence, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1998
- M. Hashemi and S. Beheshti, Adaptive noise variance estimation in BayesShrink, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 17, no.1, pp 12-15, Jan 2010.
- S. Beheshti, and M.A. Dahleh, Noisy data and impulse response estimation, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 58, no.2, pp. 510-521, Feb 2010.
- S. Beheshti, A. Fakhrzadeh, and S. Krishnan, Noiseless codelength in Wavelet denoising, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, vol. 2010, Article ID 641842, 2010.
- S. Beheshti and M.A. Dahleh, A new information theoretic approach to signal denoising and best basis selection, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol 53, no. 10, pp. 3613-3624, Oct. 2005.
- S. Beheshti, S. H. Isabelle and G. W. Wornell, Joint intersymbol and multiple-access interference suppression algorithms for CDMA systems, European Transactions on Telecommunications, Special Issue on Code-Division Multiple-Access Techniques for Wireless Communication Systems, vol. 9, no. 5, pp 403-418, Sept./Oct. 1998 (invited paper).