RESERVING YOUR ELE/COE ENGINEERING DESIGN PROJECT TOPIC
2022 ONLINE TOPIC SELECTION CONCLUDED.
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR COURSE-CO-ORDINATOR IF YOU HAVEN'T SELECTED A TOPIC YET.
- Only topics that have not been already selected can be selected online.
- A topic may only be reserved by one team of four students.
- All four team members must be in the same program (either ELE or COE).
- Each team will only be able to choose topics from their Category of Interest based on the third-year student Topic Intention Survey.
- Once a team of four students has reserved a topic, they WILL NOT be permitted to change their selection.
- There are two types of FLCs: full-time and part time.
- An FLC may have as many topics available for reservation as they wish. BUT...
- A full-time FLC can supervise a maximum of 6 groups (a maximum of 6 of this FLCs topics may be selected).
- A part-time FLC can supervise a maximum OF 3 groups (a maximum of 3 of this FLCs topics may be selected).
- Once the maximum number of topics for an FLC are selected; i.e. 6 topics for for full-time and 3 topics for a part-time FLC, ALL REMAINING TOPICS (IF THE FLC HAS MORE THAN 6 TOPICS POSTED) WILL BE UNAVAILABLE FOR SELECTION.
BEFORE TOPIC SELECTION WEEK, GROUPS SHOULD USE THE ONLINE FORM (linked below) TO VERIFY THEIR TEAMS AND CHOSEN CATEGORY OF INTEREST. Note that during Topic Selection Week, Stage 2 of the form will allow you to submit your topic selection after you verify your team.
A BUTTON LINKING TO THE GROUP VERIFICATION FORM WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE BEFORE TOPIC SELECTION BEGINS.
SELECTION FOR THOSE TEAMS WITH TOPIC INTENTION
- The COE/ELE 70A/B students will divide into teams of four students.
- The course-coordinator will announce the topic selection website before the start of Week 2.
- During each reservation period each four-student team will be shown available topics in their chosen Category of Interest from which they will choose 3 topics in order of preference. If there are less than 3 topics remaining in their category, then one or more choices can be repeated.
- At the end of each day of the reservation period (8AM - 4PM), the day's submissions will be processed and the results will be posted online (on this page) by 6PM, along with the remaining EDP topics available for selection in the second round for those groups that were not able to select a topic of their choice.
- Any team unable to reserve any one of their three choices will make a new a submission (on the following day) with 3 new EDP topics chosen from the list of remaining topics (in their Category of Interest) in order of preference.
- This process will continue until all groups that pre-selected a category get a topic.
TABULATION OF RESULTS
At the end of each day during reservation week all submitted reservations will be shuffled to randomize the time of submission (meaning that a group that submits at 8:01AM will have the same chance as one that submits at 3:59PM) and will then be processed in three passes:
- PASS 1: all the first choices will be processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
- PASS 2: teams not able to reserve a topic in the first pass, will have their second choice processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
- PASS 3: teams not able to reserve a topic in the second pass, will have their third choice processed; if the chosen topic is available, it will be assigned.
The results of the tabulating will be posted on this page by 6PM; the topic list will be updated to show remaining topics available in subsequent rounds.
Any team that was unable to reserve any of their 3 choices, will make one new reservation submission during the following week with 3 new EDP topic choices, from the list of remaining topics.
GROUP VERIFICATION/TOPIC RESERVATION FORM
Each team of four students should only submit ONE reservation. The form will not accept reservations outside the reservation times.
A BUTTON LINKING TO THE GROUP VERIFICATION AND TOPIC RESERVATION FORM WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE BEFORE TOPIC SELECTION BEGINS.