Professor Emeritus • Fellow, Academy of Science, Royal Society of Canada • NSERC Industrial Research Chair in Power Electronics • Ryerson Research Chair
Bin Wu graduated from Donghua University, Shanghai, in 1978, and received his M. A. Sc. and Ph. D. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Toronto in 1989 and 1993, respectively. He joined Ryerson University in 1993, where he is currently an Emeritus Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Dr. Wu has published more than 400 technical papers, five Wiley-IEEE Press books, and holds more than 30 issued/pending patents in the areas of power electronics, adjustable-speed drives and renewable energy systems. He has been working closely with Canadian companies, assisting them in achieving technical and commercial success through research and new product development. He has authored/co-authored more than 200 technical reports for the Canadian Industry. His patents and inventions have been adopted by the industry, resulting in significant economic benefits.
Dr. Wu has supervised more than 120 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and visiting researchers. Fourteen of his postdoctoral fellows and PhD students found academic positions around world upon completion of their studies at Ryerson. He is the founder of the Laboratory for Electric Drive Applications and Research (LEDAR), which has been recognized as the most advanced and productive electric drive research facility in a Canadian university. Dr. Wu was a Ryerson Research Chair and Senior NSERC/Rockwell Automation Industrial Research Chair.
Power electronics, variable-speed drives, renewable energies.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Fellow, Academy of Science, Royal Society of Canada, 2017
- Senior NSERC/Rockwell Industrial Research Chair in Power Electronics and Electric Drives, 2006-2017
- Engineering Excellence Medal, Professional Engineers Ontario, 2014
- YSGS Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Education Award, Yeats School of Graduate Studies, Ryerson University, 2014
- Outstanding Researcher Award, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, 2010
- Professor of the Year, Electrical & Computer Engineering Graduate Student Association, Ryerson University, 2010
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2008
- Fellow, Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC), 2008
- Fellow, Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), 2008
- Ryerson Research Chair, 2004-2006
- Ryerson Sarwan Sahota Distinguished Scholar Award, Ryerson University, 2003
- Synergy Award for Innovation, NSERC and the Conference Board of Canada, 2002
- Premier's Research Excellence Award, Ministry of Energy, Science and Technology of Ontario, 2001
- Gold Medal of the Governor General of Canada, awarded at the University of Toronto, 1990
- Science & Technology Achievement Award, Ministry of Textile Industry, China, 1987
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Donghua University (formerly China Textile University), 1985
- B. Wu, Y. Lang, N. Zargari, and S. Kouro, Power Conversion and Control of Wind Energy Systems, Wiley & IEEE Press, 453 pages, 2012.
- B. Wu, High-Power Converters and AC Drives, Wiley & IEEE Press, 332 pages, 2006.