Professor • Canada Research Chair in Bioengineering and Biophotonics
Victor Yang is a leader in translational medicine – specifically for his work in moving optical technologies to active use in the operating room to improve surgical practice. Dr. Yang received his BASc in Engineering Science, Biomedical option, from the University of Toronto in 1997, and completed a Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering in 1998. Dr. Yang entered the MD-PhD program at the University of Toronto, completing his PhD in the Department of Medical Biophysics in 2004 for his work in Doppler Optical Coherence Tomography, and completed his MD in 2006.
Presently, Dr. Yang is an Associate Professor in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Toronto Metropolitan University. Upon completion of his residency, he was appointed as a Staff Neurosurgeon at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, as well as a Senior Scientist in Brain Sciences and Physical Sciences at Sunnybrook Research Institute. He is also cross appointed as an Adjunct Professor in the department of Medical Physics at Toronto Metropolitan University, as well as an Associate Professor in the Institute of Medical Science and the Department of Surgery at the University of Toronto.
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Optical Topographical Imaging (OTI)
- Medical laser ablation
- Medical robotics
- Cranial and spinal surgical navigation
- Fluroescence imaging and Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
- Micro-machined electro-mechanical probes and catheters
- Stroke and carotid disease
- Radiation therapy
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Canada Research Chair (Tier II) for Bioengineering and Biophotonics (2013-2018)
- Nominated – Early Career Achievement Award, International Society for Optics and Photonics (2011)
- Early Researcher Award, Ministry of Research and Innovation (2009)
- Division of Neurosurgery, Allan Hudson Teaching Award, University of Toronto (2009).
- Vuong B, Genis H, Wong R, Ramjist J, Jivraj J, Farooq H, Sun C, Yang XVD, “Evaluation of flow velocities after carotid artery stenting through split spectrum Doppler optical coherence tomography and computational fluid dynamics modelling”, Biomedical Optics Express, 5:12(4405-4416), 2014.
- Mariampillai A, Standish BA, Moriyama EH, Khurana M, Munce NR, Leung MKK, Jiang J, Cable A, Wilson BC, Vitkin A, Yang VXD, “Speckle variance detection of microvasculature using swept-source optical coherence tomography”, Optics Letters, 33:13(1530-1532), 2008.
- Mariampillai A, Leung MKK, Jarvi M, Standish BA, Lee K, Wilson BC, Vitkin A, Yang VXD, “Optimized speckle variance OCT imaging of microvasculature”, Optics Letters, 35:8(1257-1259), 2010.
- Munce NR, Wright GA, Mariampillai A, Standish BA, Leung KKM, Tan L, Lee K, Courtney BK, Teitelbaum AA, Strauss BH, Vitkin IA, Yang VXD, "Doppler optical coherence tomography for interventional cardiovascular guidance: in-vivo feasibility and forward-viewing probe flow phantom demonstration," Journal of Biomedical Optics, 15:011103, 2010.
- Cheng KHY, Standish BA, Yang VXD, Cheung KKY, Gu X, Lam EY, Wong KKY, "Wavelength-swept spectral and pulse shaping utilizing hybrid Fourier domain mode locking by fiber optical parametric and Erbium-doped fiber amplifiers," Optics Express, 18:1909-15, 2010.
- Sarzetto F, Gupta S, Alotaibi NM, Howard P, da Costa L, Heyn C, Maralani PJ, Guha D, Swartz R, Boyle K, Yang VXD, “Outcome evaluation of acute ischemic stroke patients treated with endovascular thrombectomy: a single-institution experience in the era of randomized controlled trials”, World Neurosurgery, 2016.
- Guha D, Jakubovic R, Gupta S, Alotaibi NM, Cadotte D, da Costa LB, George R, Heyn C, Howard P, Kapadia A, Klostranec J, Phan N, Tan G, Mainprize TG, Yee A, Yang VXD, “Spinal intra-operative three-dimensional navigation: correlation between clinical and absolute engineering accuracy”, The Spine Journal, 2016.