Professor • Program Director, Biomedical Engineering
Karthi Umapathy received his Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Bharathiar University, India in 1992. He received his Master of Philosophy (MPhil.) degree in Electronics, Communication and Electrical Engineering from the University of Hertfordshire, UK in 2002 and his Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the University of Western Ontario, Canada in 2006. During his graduate studies he held the prestigious NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) and Post Graduate Scholarship (PGS) awards. He was an inaugural Ryerson postdoctoral fellow and was also the recipient of the Heart & Stroke Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence research fellowship award.
From 1993 to 2000 he worked for Philips Medical Systems India where he was the Area Manager and Country Specialist for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI). He was trained in MRI at the Netherlands, UK, and Japan. During his tenure in Philips he led many successful MRI projects in India and Japan. He joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University) as an Assistant Professor in 2009 and prior to that was a sessional instructor from 2007 to 2009.
He is a senior member of IEEE, Affiliate Scientist at St. Michael's Hospital (iBest) and a registered professional engineer in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Biomedical Signal and Image Analysis, Time-frequency Analysis, Digital Signal Processing, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Feature Extraction and Pattern Classification, Medical Instrumentation, Health Analytics.
- Balasundaram K, Masse S, Farid T, Nair K, Asta J, Cusimano RJ, Vigmond E, Nanthakumar K, Umapathy K. "Morphologically constrained signal subspace characterization of electrograms during ventricular fibrillation." Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. 2017 Sep 1;38:379-87.
- King B, Porta-Sánchez A, Massé S, Zamiri N, Balasundaram K, Kusha M, Jackson N, Haldar S, Umapathy K, Nanthakumar K. "Effect of spatial resolution and filtering on mapping cardiac fibrillation." Heart rhythm. 2017 Apr 30;14(4):608-15. (Impact Factor: 4.86)
- Magtibay K, Beheshti M, Foomany FH, Massé S, Lai PF, Zamiri N, Asta J, Nanthakumar K, Jaffray D, Krishnan S, Umapathy K. "Feature-based MRI data fusion for cardiac arrhythmia studies." Computers in biology and medicine. 2016 May 1;72:13-21. (This paper was on the honored list of the journal)
- Beheshti M, Foomany FH, Magtibay K, Masse S, Lai P, Asta J, Jaffray DA, Nanthakumar K, Krishnan S, Umapathy K. "Modeling Current Density Maps Using Aliev–Panfilov Electrophysiological Heart Model." Cardiovascular engineering and technology. 2016 Sep 1;7(3):238-53.
- Balasundaram K, Umapathy K, Jeyaratnam J, Niri A, Massé S, Farid T, Nair K, Asta J, Cusimano RJ, Vigmond E, Nanthakumar K. "Tracking Rotors with Minimal Electrodes: Modulation Index Based Strategy." Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 2015 Mar 4:CIRCEP-114. (Impact Factor: 5.5)