Dr. Gul N. Khan graduated in Electrical Engineering from University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore in 1979. He received his M.Sc. in Computer Engineering from Syracuse University in 1982. After working as research associate at Arizona State University, he joined Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London and completed his Ph.D. in 1989. He also worked as research associate for the Endoscope Automation project at Imperial College. Dr. Khan joined the computer engineering faculty of RMIT University, Melbourne in 1993.
In 1997, Dr. Khan joined the computer engineering faculty at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He moved to Canada in 2000 and worked as Associate Professor of computer engineering at University of Saskatchewan before joining Toronto Metropolitan University. He served as Program Director of Computer Engineering from 2004-2015. Dr. Khan has authored/edited a book entitled “Embedded and Networking Systems: Design, Software and Implementation” and he has published more than 100 refereed papers in journals, conferences, symposiums and workshops including book chapters and three US patents.
His research interests include embedded systems, hardware/software codesign, MPSoC, NoC, heterogeneous computer systems, CPU-GPU and GPGPU systems, fault-tolerant systems, high performance computing, computer vision and multimedia systems.
- M. Obaidullah and Gul N. Khan "Application Mapping to Mesh NoCs using a Tabu-Search based Swarm Optimization" Microprocessors and Microsystems, Vol. 55, pp. 13-25, Nov. 2017.
- M. Oveis-Gharan and Gul N. Khan "Efficient Dynamic Virtual Channel Organization and Architecture for NoC Systems" IEEE Trans. VLSI Systems, Vol. 24, pp. 465-478, Feb. 2016.
- Gul N. Khan and M. Moessner "Low-cost authentication protocol for passive, computation capable RFID tags" Wireless Networks, Journal of Mobile Communication, Computation and Information, Vol. 21, pp. 565-580, Feb. 2015.
- Anita Tino and Gul N. Khan "High Performance NoC Synthesis using Analytical Modelling and Simulation with Optimal Power and Minimal IC Area" Journal of Systems Architecture, Vol. 59, pp. 1348-63, Nov. 2013.
- V. Dumitriu and Gul N. Khan, "Throughput oriented NoC topology generation and analysis for high performance SoCs" IEEE Trans. VLSI Systems, Vol. 17, pp. 1433-46, Oct. 2009.
- Gul N. Khan and Gu Wei, "Fault-tolerant wormhole routing using a Variation of Distributed Recovery Block Approach" IEE Proceedings Computers and Digital Techniques, Vol. 147, pp. 397-402, Nov. 2000.
- Gul N. Khan and Duncan F. Gillies, "A Vision based Navigation System for an Endoscope" Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 14, pp. 763-72, Dec. 1996.