- 416.979.5000 x556103
Mahmood (Mike) Kassam
Professor • Associate Chair, Student Affairs
- Associate Chair, Dept. ELCE, Ryerson University, 2003-2010; 2015-present.
- Program Director, Biomedical Engineering, 2009-2010; 2011-2016-2019.
- Professor, Dept. ELCE, Ryerson University, 1984-present.
- Professional Engineer of Ontario, 1979-present.
- Senior Member IEEE, 2008-present.
- Associate Director, CATE, Ryerson University, 1989-1997.
- Adjunct Professor, IBME, University of Toronto, 1984-1992.
- non-invasive medical diagnostic techniques & instrumentation
- biomedical sensors and transducers
- real-time digital signal processing & embedded systems
- SoC and advanced analog/digital circuit designs
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Chair's Teaching Award, 2013.
- Ryerson 25-Year Club, 2010.
- Ryerson IEEE Professor of the Year, 2004.
- US Patent #9,347,817: "Surgical object and comprehensive fluid monitoring system having capability of mobile monitoring and having highly sensitive and reliable detection of objects being placed in a container", Pollock, R.A. and Kassam, M.S., May 2016.
- US Patent #8,963,025: "Surgical object and fluid monitoring system having highly sensitive and reliable detection of objects being placed in a container – CIP", Pollock, R.A. and Kassam, M.S., February 2015.
- US Patent #8,704,178: "Container for surgical object and fluid monitoring system", Pollock, R.A., Kassam, M.S. and Cox, T.D., April 2014.
- US Patent #8,692,140: "Surgical object and fluid monitoring system having highly sensitive and reliable detection of objects being placed in a container", Pollock, R.A., Kassam, M.S. and Cox, T.D., April 2014.
- Blaber, A. P., Goswani, N., Bondar, R.L., and Kassam, M.S., "Impairment of Cerebral Blood Flow Regulation in Astronauts with Orthostatic Intolerance after Flight", Stroke - Journal of the American Heart Association, DOI: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.610576, May 26, 2011.
- Blaber A. P., Bondar R. L., and Kassam M.S., "Heart rate variability and short duration spaceflight: relationship to post-flight orthostatic tolerance," BMC Physiology. 2004; 4(1): 6.
- Serrador, J.M., Shoemaker, S.J. Wood, Picot P.A., Stein F, Kassam, M.S., Bondar, R., and Schlegel, T.T., "Effect of Acute Exposure to (Gx vs Gz) on Dynamic Cerebral Autoregulation," Journal of Applied Physiology, November 2001, JAP-00266-2001.
- US Patent #5,629,498: "Intraoperative Tracking Devices and Processes", Pollock, R.A. and Kassam, M.S., May 1997.